Thursday 15 October 2015

1978/79 That crazy season when we took Europe by surprise.

I have been struggling to get my 1959 scrapbook online, but after seeing "I Believe In Miracles" the other night, I've dug out my scrapbook for the 1978/9 season.

At the time I was married with two young children and flying as cabin crew with British Airways (having started in the BOAC era). During this season I was back on the VC10 and 707 fleet as the purser in charge, the happiest time of my working life. The exploits of Nottingham Forest during this time only added to my feeling of happiness and contentment with work and home life. The only fly in the ointment was rostering. It was run a bit like zero hours contracts, with little or no warning of trips. It was not unusual to get back from a short trip to find a roster waiting for a three week trip just a few days later. However, things were changing and rosters were amongst the items negotiated on during one of several strikes undertaken at that time.

This odd system meant that I could get to few matches, partly because of family commitments and partly because of the time and cost of travel.

The scrapbook consists mainly of cuttings from newspapers left at the house by my next door neighbour who worked at night in the 'print' in London and kindly supplied us. There are some comments by myself. The book is arranged in date order and is presented exactly as is with no further comments.

If you click on the images they come up in large size so you can read them easily. Reading the book after several years brought back so many happy memories, I hope it does the same for you, not only all football related.

By the way, the "target" I keep quoting was something I started in the previous season. At this time it was two points for a win, so I reckoned every match was worth 1 1/2 points and I kept a rolling record, but, unlike the previous season, we kept falling behind this rough and ready means of checking how close we were to championship form. And the reports are held in place by sticky tape. Not only is this starting to lose it's stickiness now, but it has started to 'bleed' through the reports and the pages, so the odd patches are just that.















                                           League Cup 3rd Round. Wed Oct 4th






                                              League Division I October 28th
                                               Wednesday November 1st











                                                 Sat. Dec. 24th 1st Division
















                                 Saturday March 3rd First Division (first part of report)
                                                 (second part of report)


























No comments:

Post a Comment