Thursday 11 July 2013

Colchester United and Religion


Visiting family for granddaughter's birthday party took me down the A12 past Colchester United's
ground, officially the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

It was a beautiful day, unbroken sunshine and hot, a real summer day, perfect for a quiet visit and some photos. The ground is right beside the road and as I approached I thought someone had parked a whole fleet of coaches on the car park, utilising an empty area during the close season.

As I got closer, the stands had people in them, in fact, a lot of people, probably far more than Colchester United get for a home game. It turned out that I had blundered in to a meeting or, probably more correctly, a convention of Jehovah's Witnesses. I apologised to the main steward chap and told him of my purpose, parked up. scooted round taking photos as fast as I could and left.

This ground is a new one, United having previously been at the crumbling Layer Road for many years. It is situated way out of town in a wasteland which is obviously waiting for development, but at the moment is sad and lonely. It's not the usual new 'bowl', but four seemingly identical stands, identical except for a few detail differences.

The birthday party was a great success.

No comments:

Post a Comment